-Black Bean Burgers
-Veggie Burgers with Vidalia Relish
-Bulgur Onion Not-Meatloaf
Pretend Meat Recipes,
or Meat Substitutes
Yield: 5 servings
- 2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 C. fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 C. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Ground red pepper
- 2 large eggs
- vegetable oil
- 5 (8 inch) pita bread rounds
- Tahini Sauce
- Cucumber Relish
Process chickpeas, breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, cumin, salt,
red pepper, and eggs in a food processor just until smooth,
stopping once to scrape down sides. Shape mixture into 10 (1/2"
Pour oil to depth of 1/2" in a large skillet. Fry patties
in hot oil over medium-high heat 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 min on each
side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Cut pita rounds in half crosswise, and place 1 patty into
each pita half. Top with Tahini Sauce and Cucumber Relish,
and serve immediately.
- 1 15 oz. Can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large egg
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 large green onion, minced
- 1/4 red onion, chopped very small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, minced very small
- 1 Tbsp. Cornmeal
- 2 tsp. Pepper sauce, or to taste (Tabasco or similar)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- 3 wheat hamburger buns
- Toppings: white cheese, tomato, lettuce, pickles, sautéed
mushrooms/onions, mayonnaise, mustard...
- Mash beans in large bowl with potato masher. Add egg, carrot,
green onion, red onion, bell pepper, pepper sauce, salt,
and cornmeal. Stir well, shape into 3 patties. Fry patties
in oil about 3 min. each side, or until heated through and
- Meanwhile, chop mushrooms and onions and sauté in
olive oil, if using.
- If using cheese, place burgers on baking sheet. Top with
mushroom/onion mix, then cheese. Broil a few minutes until
Cafe Thyme Vegetarian Burgers
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 3 C. water
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 C. bulgur
- 1 C. mashed, cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 C. chopped green onions
- 1/2 C. grated carrots
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 C. tahini
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- pinch ground black pepper
Bring water to a boil. Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy skillet
over medium-high heat. Add garlic and bulgur and cook 2 minutes,
stirring frequently. Add boiling water. Bring mixture to a
boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 15-20 min or until
water is absorbed and bulgur is soft and chewy.
Remove bulgur from heat and add remaining ingredients; stir
to blend well. With moistened hands, form mixture into 6-8
burgers. Place burgers in freezer 5-10 min or until firm.
Cook burgers in lightly oil skillet over medium-low heat about
10 min, or until browned, turning halfway through cooking.
Serve on buns with condiments and vegetables.
Based on Madhur Jaffrey's recipe
Yield: 6 burgers
- 1 block soft tofu
- 1/2 stick of very finely diced celery
- 4 very finely sliced scallions
- 1-2 finely diced jalapenos
- 3 very finely diced carrots
- 5 very finely diced large mushrooms
- 2-3 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
- a fistful of cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 10 Tbsp. fine white breadcrumbs
- Slice tofu thinly, wrap in towel and put a heavy weight
on top. Allow to drain for 1 hour.
- Fry celery, scallions, jalapenos, carrots, and mushrooms
until translucent, 4-5 min.
- As vegetables cook, crumble tofu with fingers, then mash
with a fork. Add soy sauce, cilantro, egg, breadcrumbs, and
fried vegetables. Mix together and form into patties.
- Dust patties with more breadcrumbs and cook on a hot pan
- Serve on sesame buns.
Veggie Burgers with Vidalia Relish
not on rolls)
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 packed C. diced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 C. green onions, chopped, green parts only
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 C. plain cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 tsp. Soy sauce
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. Herbes de Provence or oregano
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vidalia Onion
- 2 hoagie or submarine rolls
Mince zucchini, mushrooms, and onion very fine. Heat 1 Tbsp.
olive oil in large skillet. Sauté vegetables over medium
heat until tender, about 10 min. Remove to bowl. Stir in brown
rice, soy sauce, pepper, herbs, and egg.
Heat remaining 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil in skillet. Drop rice mixture
as 6 small burgers into skillet. Gently press down with spatula
and dry until browned on bottom, about 5 min. Gently turn and
fry another 5 min.
To serve, place 3 small burgers on each roll. Top with relish
and close, or serve burgers plain with relish.
Notes: Veggie burgers can be made from almost anything.
Use a bland base, like cooked rice, barley, or breadcrumbs.
Add sautéd vegetables, seasonings, and enough egg to
hold it together.
Vary spices to match ingredients. For example, if you use
mushrooms, bok choy and water chestnuts, season with soy sauce
and Chinese Five-Spice powder. If you use onions, tomatoes,
garlic, and zucchini, season with oregano and basil. If using
tomatoes, squeeze excess liquid out first.
Yield: 10 burgers
- 1/2 C. brown lentils
- 1/2 C. barley
- 1/2 C. brown rice
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 1/3 C. carrots, minced
- 3/4 C. onion, minced
- 3/4 C. celery, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Sunflower seeds, toasted or dry-roasted
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Thyme, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 C. flour
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
The day before serving:
Bring 4 C. water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Add lentils,
cover, simmer 15 min. Add barley, cover, simmer 15 min. Add
brown rice, cover, simmer 20 min. or until water is absorbed
and rice is cooked.
In medium pan, saute carrots, onion, and celery in olive oil
til tender, about 10 min. Add sunflower seeds, oregano, salt,
pepper, thyme, basil, and garlic, and saute 1-2 min. more.
Combine grains and vegetables in large covered container,
The day of serving:
Add eggs and flour to grain mixture, mix wells. Form balls
3-4 inches in diameter, and flatten into patties 3/4 inch thick.
Fry patties in vegetable oil until golden brown, 3-4 min. each
Bulgur Onion Not-Meatloaf
- 1 C. TVP
- 1 C. bulgur wheat (medium grind)
- 1 C. oatmeal
- 1 packet Lipton Spicy Onion soup mix
- 1 jalapeno or Anaheim pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3/4 C. ketchup
- 1 clove garlic (more if you like)
- Herbs and spices of your choice
- 3 1/4 C. boiling water
Preheat oven to 375 F. Place TVP, bulgur, oatmeal, and soup
mix in a large bowl. Add boiling water, stir well and set aside.
Chop peppers medium. Chop garlic fine. Add all ingredients
to mixture, and let sit for a few minutes. Non-stick spray
a large bread pan. Fold mixture into pan and press firmly into
pan and around edges. Brush top with ketchup. Bake for about
1 1/4 hours.
Onion Not-Meatloaf Slices in Ketchup Gravy
- 1 C. oatmeal (coarse grind is best)
- 1 C. TVP (granular)
- 1/2 C. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 C. minced celery
- 1/2 C. minced parsley
- Your choice of herbs
- 1 packet Lipton Onion soup mix
- 1/2 C. ketchup
- 1 1/2 C. water (1 3/4 C. for a softer mixture)
Mix all ingredients together and let sit in the refrigerator
for 1/2hour. You may need to adjust water to produce a meat
loaf texture after the refrigeration. Preheat oven to 375 F.
Non-stick spray a loaf pan, and place mixture into it. Coat
top of loaf with ketchup. Bake for 1 hour. Remove and place
in refrigerator. (If you cut it hot it will crumble.) When
cool, slice it and warm it up in a sauce made from 1 part ketchup
and 2 parts water. Serve with mashed potatoes for the ultimate
comfort food meal.
- 1/2 C. onion
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/2 C. textured vegetable protein granules
- 1 tsp. Basil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano
- 1/4 C. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 C. bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 C. boiling water
- 1/4 C. tomato sauce
Chop the onion and sauté it in the olive oil until
soft. Combine with the other ingredients. Press into a non-stick
pan and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.